About a year ago I put down a list of my goals for the year and I’ve got to admit, I haven’t looked at them for probably at least 9 months. 28 things to do before I turn 29 years old. I guess since it’s been a year and now that I am 29 I should probably take a look at that list and see how I’ve done, eh?
1. Learn to play the Ukulele. Nope. Didn’t do :/ Maybe add this back on to this year?
2. Learn to crochet. Again, nope. But I did learn to weave so that’s kind of similar right?
Go to the Doctor and get a physical. I did do this!
Go to the dentist. Yup. Finally got all my teeth work done too. Though I think I probably need to go back to a dentist and get a physical again at this point.
5. Have most of our debt paid off. Okay so we’re still doing well but it might take a little longer then we hoped to get it all paid off. Moving took it’s toll and made things a bit tighter.
6. Read one book a month. Wow. Another one I totally bombed. I know I read a few books. But definitely not 12. For shame.
7. Take my camera in to get cleaned and start taking better pictures again. Eeps. Didn’t get it cleaned. But did get a cleaning kit and took a photoshop class so when I am actually genuinely trying to take good pictures they do come out and I am capable of editing now. So sorta completed?
8. Start doing a weekly art/craft project. I’m not sure I got this done weekly but I did kick my butt in high gear and started creating a lot more. Though I think I might have burned myself out with the craft show because I haven’t quite gotten back on the horse for that one.
Look into getting a laptop/start saving up for one. I did get a new laptop! I love it and during the times my depression was hiding I was pretty good at keeping my blog up to date so I would say it’s helped. My depression was my derailment. Luckily though, along with the seeing a doctor I also started seeing a psychiatrist. And the meds have seemed to help. (Thank goodness!)
Be a better mother. Not that I was a bad Mom while in Colorado but I feel a lot better about who I am as a mother these days. Sure sometimes I still have my bad days where we don’t do much but I also have more good days then I did in Colorado and that all that really matters. Winter time is always my hardest time. But who wants to go out in the cold anyway!
Make a decision about blogging and if I decide that I want to do it then either redesign my blog or hire a designer. I think I did make a decision about blogging. I’m going to continue with it. I enjoy it and really want to build this little space of mine in order to join/create a community of makers and shakers. I just really like to create and this blog helps fuel that. I also did redesign this site since last year but I’m still not in love with it. I think it’ll do for now though.
12. Get into a habit of doing yoga/meditation/going on walks/moving. I don’t know if I would cross this off my list per say. I am much more active now then I ever was in Colorado but that could just be that I’m in a city and so walking every where is easier. But I don’t know if I’d call it a habit.
13. Get my next tattoo. I completely forgot about actually getting my tattoo. I know what I want, but I need to find an artist.
14. Work on illustration style. I still really suck at it but it’s also something that I want to continue working on where as some of the other goals I don’t care so much about.
Sell 10 things I’ve made. I think I’ve done this! At least I am going to say I did because a craft show definitely wasn’t on my radar last year but I did it! I also hadn’t officially started my Etsy at this point last year so yeah. There ya go.
De-clutter the house and get better at getting rid of things. So we definitely did this. Grant it now that we live in a bigger place we certainly do have more furniture now. But I would say we have less stuff. I have a much easier time now letting things go.
17. Make a 2010 family yearbook. If possible catch up on years 2011-2013. Whoops. Definitely didn’t do this.
18. Come up with a longer plan goal. I haven’t really written this out yet but I’ve gotten a better idea with where I want to go in the future. Now I would just like to focus it a little more.
Make new friends and reconnect with old ones. Okay, this one can be crossed off like five times now. This past year I’ve been able to visit and chat with quite a few old friends. Moving to the East Coast has helped a lot with that. As for new friends? Yes. I’ve got several people that I’ve met this past year I would consider to be a friend. And not just a friend that’s convenient but actual good friends.
20. Work on driving anxiety. Yes and no. By the time we left Colorado Springs I felt good about driving in areas I was familiar with and even took the kids to a nature center in an area I wasn’t familiar with. But then we moved to NYC and I will never ever drive here because people are insane and why would I bother driving here when I can walk/take the train/etc?
Take Sophie to the beach. Took her to the beach in Wilmington. She loved it. Thought Joel would of loved it more but nope. Sophie still tells me stories about going to the beach.
Create a work space that inspires me. I HAVE MY OWN OFFICE! And it’s awesome. The End.
23. More deliberate dates with Steve. We’ve been on dates… a few. I think there’s still room for improvement so I won’t cross this out yet.
Write at least 12 handwritten letters. Definitely did this. Probably a few times over. Though I do still owe some people a few letters and postcards.
25. Make something for each kid. Ehhhh. I’ve made them things all year but none of them were exactly the type of things I had in mind.
26. Buy an instax camera and take 52 pictures. I did buy an instax camera and for awhile I was really good at taking pictures once a week. And then we moved and I became not so good at keeping up with any of these things.
27. Develop all the rolls of film I have laying around the house. I did develop my snorkeling ones from my 26th birthday but I still have a ton more.
28. Spend the weekend in Denver going to the zoo and a museum. Yeah. We never got around to spending time in Denver. But we did go on an epic cross country tour and saw some cool things. Does that count?
In conclusion? I completed 11 things out of 28. I didn’t do so hot in keeping up with some of these goals. At the same time I feel like 6-7 months ago when we found out we were moving to Brooklyn, a few of these goals became obsolete. I can see myself wanting to add develop film and learn the ukulele back to the list but rather then learning to crochet I think I’d rather focus on weaving and rather then facing my driving fears maybe it makes more sense for where I am at to face my bike fears. Now to work on my new list.